oh, hello 2017

a whole mess of rambles to close out 2016.

I've been chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool in the latter part of this month, enjoying the holidays, my family, and friends, but decided to take a break from my break to share some year end side notes. 

I'm excited to share my second feature on Harvard Business Review, which was published late last week. In this piece by HBR editor Amy Gallo, I discuss how I handled a situation where a colleague attempted to bypass me by going to my manager for approval.


Even more exciting, a portion of this interview will be included in the upcoming April 2017 book release of HBR Guide to Dealing with Conflict. You can preorder now by visiting this link

I have a slew of articles I'm working on that will be published in the new year, so stay tuned! 

Meanwhile...

New beginnings.

Another year is coming to a close, way too soon. This year has certainly been one for the books, and I will be celebrating and toasting to what is to come in 2017. But, my favorite thing to do (sometimes to my own detriment) is to look back; it helps me recognize where I once was and how far I've come. My gratitude grows leaps and bounds when I realize that where I am now is where I once wished to be, though my hopes and dreams are currently dangling somewhere farther out on the horizon. 

Every once in awhile I discover things I've written from years ago and I read it with such curiosity, like opening an old diary of someone I used to know. Little pieces of the 'making of 'me.'' 

Today I found an open letter to the 'monster' that was 2009. Though the emotions behind it have no bearing on my life now, it helped make me the person I am today. So, I read it with interest - and even more gratitude.  

So, with 2016 coming down to days, hours, minutes... don't forget to take a moment to acknowledge some of the amazing things you experienced/accomplished this year (I mean, one of the singers of Toto personally serenaded me with "Africa." SO cool).

Then, set your intentions for the upcoming year.

Goals in writing are dreams with deadlines.

I started my 2017 list of goals, and I'm already tired... but excited. I have a lot of work to do (so I'm going to go enjoy this break)! 

One of those is to make more time to read. I am already getting a jump and just finished Rupi Kaur's "Milk and Honey," which I cannot recommend highly enough. Perhaps it was because it sent chills down my spine, as I swore I lived her words and told her stories...

Not limited to, but especially this one.

Selfish.

Currently reading Mark Manson's "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck," which so far is mostly just depressing, as I could have written most of it as well. I better start jumping on some of my ideas a little quicker.

What I strive for...

Not only in the upcoming year, but always. 

"A beautiful woman uses her lips for truth, her voice for kindness and good words, her ears for compassion, her hands for charity and her heart for love." - Anne Nwakama 

Last but not least...

Playlisttttttt (it deserves to be misspelled if it's got some flavor)

Hole - Violet
Flight Facilities - Clair de lune
Robyn - Call Your Girlfriend
Solange - Losing You
Simple Plan - Untitled
Lisa Loeb - Stay (I Missed You)
Jay-Z & Kanye West - N* in Paris
Fugees - Ready or Not
Nas ft. Lauryn Hill - If I Ruled The World
The Offspring - Self Esteem
Violent Femmes - Blister In the Sun
P. Diddy - I Need a Girl Pt. 2
Thom Yorke - Hearing Damage
Jem - They
Money, Power, Respect - The Lox
Our Lady Peace - Somewhere Out There
Positive K - I Got a Man
Ciara - Goodies
Labyrinth - Beneath Your Beautiful
Rae Sremmurd - Black Beatles
Kungs - This Girl
Martika - Toy Soldiers (between the original and Eminem's version) 




Comments

Popular Posts