random ramblings 12.6.16

Love You Forever 
By Robert Munsch

A mother held her new baby and very slowly rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she held him, she sang:

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The baby grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was two years old, and he ran all around the house. He pulled all the books off the shelves. He pulled all the food out of the refrigerator and he took his mother's watch and flushed it down the toilet. Sometimes his mother would say, "this kid is driving me CRAZY!"

But at night time, when that two-year-old was quiet, she opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor, looked up over the side of his bed; and if he was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

The little boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was nine years old. And he never wanted to come in for dinner, he never wanted to take a bath, and when grandma visited he always said bad words. Sometimes his mother wanted to sell him to the zoo!

But at night time, when he was asleep, the mother quietly opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he was really asleep, she picked up that nine-year-old boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. And while she rocked him she sang:

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

Thankfully this is as far as we go in the story so far, because the rest makes me cry. 

Happy 10th birthday to my son, Richie. How is it possibly possible that I've been a mother for ten years already? And, I'm no longer 25, either. Nonsense, this is.

Wouldn't trade it for anything. <3 I love you forever, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.

p.s. Britney turned 35 the other day, too. happy b-day, B.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Exciting news - one of my first features on HBR.org has been published (apparently at the end of last week, it's been hectic to say the least. Check it out here: https://hbr.org/2016/12/how-to-earn-your-managers-

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything happens for a reason, and I believed that all the more today.

Two years ago today, I left a job that I really liked in hopes of finding greener pastures. Unfortunately, the job I left it for didn't turn out to be the dream job I'd hoped for, and I left it a year later. When I first began writing, I decided it was all I wanted to do as my full-time gig, and interviewed with an online media company focused on millennials. I was on my second interview and receiving great feedback, and felt like my dreams were about to be realized; then, everything went silent. Company priorities (and headquarters!) shifted, and there were odd stories that didn't make sense, etc. I was disappointed at the time, but realize now how lucky I was it didn't work out - they appear to have shut down (or are close to it).

In the past week, I've accepted a new job offer that considerably increases my income (love my current job, but couldn't turn down the amazing opportunity), and published on a few sites that I've been working hard to get involved with. 2016 has been an amazingly productive - and successful - year for me. Cheers, can't wait to see what 2017 has in store!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Playlist

Michael Woods - In Your Arms (feat. Lauren Dyson) Club Mix
Radiohead - Creep
Slick Rick - Mona Lisa
Florence & The Machine - Shake It Out
Moby - Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?
Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
Milky Chance - Stolen Dance
Billy Joel - Vienna
White Town - Your Woman
O.A.R. - Shattered
Gavin DeGraw - Follow Through
Alyssa Bonagura - Nothing More to Say
Wet - Move Me



Comments

Popular Posts