I Make Insane Money But My Boss Treats Me Like Sh*t. What Should I Do?

From my Expert Opinion column, Ask Karen:
http://salaryshark.com/2016/10/09/good-money-shitty-boss/

Dear Karen: I make insane money but my boss treats me like shit. What should I do?

I am going to assume if you make a boatload of money, you must be bringing a great deal of value to the company and your boss...otherwise they could employ someone at half your salary and add to their own bottom line. 

With that being said, you need to call your boss out on their behavior - respectfully. Is it possible that they have no idea that they're acting so out of turn? Again, if they respect you professionally, they should not be opposed to a conversation. I'm willing to also bet that as a top earner, you must have learned some useful negotiation strategies to leverage yourself in an optimal light. Consider this a similar exercise... but this time, instead of money your desired end-goal is your professional success and self-respect. 

If a conversation with your boss is an absolute dealbreaker, then you need to ask yourself the following questions to determine your next step:

Despite the obvious benefit of making a lot of money, do you like what you do for a living? Is it enough to settle for dealing with a bully of a boss?

How much is money tied to your definition of success and happiness? 

Can you earn a similar salary at another company for your services?

What makes you most valuable to your current company, and how can you leverage those skills/assets to benefit you in another role/company?

By asking yourself these important questions, you might find that you'd be happier on another path - and in another job - altogether. 

Good luck! 







Comments

Popular Posts